This is one of my favorite super satisfying one-skillet and one-plate weeknight dinners. A handful of easy to find ingredients, a few minutes of prep, 30 minutes in the oven, and tons of flavor. A cast-iron skillet works best. Bonus: it happens to be gluten-free, low-carb, and paleo-friendly. Downside: it’s so good you probably won’t have any left-overs!
One-Skillet Roast Chicken Legs and Brussels Sprouts
- cast iron skillet
- splatter guard
- 2 whole chicken legs medium to large in size
- 3-4 handfuls brussel sprouts cleaned, ends trimmed, halved
- 1 tbsp high heat oil canola, avocado or coconut oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt to taste
- 2 tsp fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or ground aleppo pepper optional
- 1/4 cup chicken broth low sodium is best
- 1 lemon Juice one half, cut the other half into wedges.
- 2 tbsp olive oil a few drizzles
- 1/2 cup Parmesan grated, for serving, optional
- Bring chicken legs to room temp and season with salt and pepper all over.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat your cast iron skillet on medium high for a few minutes until quite hot, but not smoking.
- Add your HIGH HEAT oil of choice and let it get hot to a shimmer, but not smoking. Test a drop of water in the pan - should dance on top.
- Place your seasoned chicken legs top skin/presentation side down in the pan and DO NOT MOVE for 6 minutes or so until nicely browned. It will sizzle and splatter, so use a guard if you have one!
- Meanwhile, in a big bowl, toss your brussel sprouts with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and if desired, a pinch of red pepper flakes and ground coriander.
- Once chicken is browned, turn over and do the same on the other side for just 3 minutes. Turn off the burner.
- Add brussel sprouts to the skillet around and under the chicken, trying to get most cut side down on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the juice of half the lemon and chicken broth over everything.
- Put in center of oven for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and brussels sprouts are browned and a little crispy.
- Serve with grated parmesan and wedges from the other half of lemon, if desired.