It’s a chicken salad. And a salad. It’s a chicken salad salad! One of my go-to lunches and favorite things to do with left-over chicken. Using my foolproof formula of protein+nut+crunch+herb+greens, this is a quick, delicious and nutritious dish that comes together in a few minutes and is sure to satisfy. I love the flavor and texture combination of chicken, walnuts, apples, fresh parsley on top of butter lettuce and radicchio, but you could easily swap those out for leftover fish or tuna+almonds+celery+tarragon+whatever greens you’ve got and love for another variation. Or swap any of those ingredients with the chicken version – it still works! It’s really about what you’ve got on hand and what you like. Enjoy!
Chicken Salad Salad
- 1 1/2-2 cups shredded leftover roasted or rotisserie chicken light and/or dark meat
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 chopped red apple
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or more to taste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise or regular mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2-3 handfuls torn up butter lettuce
- 1-2 handfuls torn up radicchio
- Tear up the lettuce and radicchio and place in two salad serving bowls or plates.
- Chop up the apple, walnuts and parsley and add to a separate mixing bowl.
- Shred up any leftover chicken you may have, or use rotisserie chicken, and add to the mixing bowl.
- In a measuring cup or jar, whisk together lemon, mustard and mayo of choice, salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil to make the dressing.
- Pour half the dressing into the bowl with chicken, apples, walnuts and parsley and incorporate.
- Pour the remaining half of the vinaigrette into each of the serving bowls and toss with the greens.
- Spoon the chicken salad on top of the greens, season with fresh ground pepper, a little more chopped parsley, and serve.